[acfa-ir 52] Minutes of 28th FFIR meeting on 5/30/2001

Subject:   [acfa-ir 52] Minutes of 28th FFIR meeting on 5/30/2001
From:   Toshiaki Tauchi <toshiaki.tauchi@xxxxxx>
Date:   Mon, 04 Jun 2001 16:38:14 +0900

Dear Colleagues,

Can you find the minutes of the latest FFIR meeting ?  Please also see a web
site of http://acfahep.kek.jp/subg/ir/minutes.html .

Comments and questions are welcome.

The next meeting will be on 6/13 (Wed.), 2001.

Best regards,
T.Tauchi (KEK)

---------
Minutes of 28th FFIR meeting on 5/30/2001
The meeting was held in a room of 3-425 at KEK, 13:30-14:30, 5/30/2001. We
discussed on Superconducting FF-Q, the present status of support tube R&D.

(1) Superconducting FF quadrupole
(transparencies, 1 page, pdf ,120kB ) Tsuchiya explained his original idea
on supercondicting quadrupole design which has been presented at the
previous meeting. The small dipole inside of QC1 should be removed for
background considerations. QC1 aperture can be increased to >10cm (inner
radius) at the field gradient of 64.3T/m for disrupted(lower energy) beam to
pass through. Serious problem is how to tranport these disrupted particles
into a beam dump after QC1. We will ask Kubo-san whether he can design a
dump line with the superconducting QC1 and disrupted beam.

Since QC2 can be small, the disrupted beam can be outside of the QC2. Field
gradient of the QC2 is 22.4T/m and its inner radius can be 1cm. So, a warm
magnet is more attractive for its conpactness. He will also design such warm
magnet for QC2.

(1) Support tube R&D
(transparencies, 14 pages, pdf ,3.16MB ) Yamaoka presented test results with
three configulations of the central part for a case of "single tube"; which
are (a) 4 Alminium plates of 20mm width, 2mm thickness (I=1.9x104mm4), (b) 4
Al-plates of 20mm width, 4mm thickness (I=4.7x104mm4) and (c) 4 Al-plates of
70mm width, 5mm thickness (I=1.1x105mm4). He observed more resonances than
simple-ANSYS calculations, where the central part was approximated by
changing I-values only. In order to get more resonances he had to take
account of real geomentries such as 4 Al-plate connecting two cantilevers.
However, he could not reproduce observed patterns, although the larger
I-value has better agreement between measurment and ANSYS-calculation. We
need a further study to resolve this disagreement.

The next meeting will be on 13 June (Wed.), 2001 13:30 - 15:00 at 3 gokan,
425.